All Because of Agatha
Performances: October 21, 22 ,28 & 29 at 8:00pm and October 30 at 2:00pm.
Auditions will be at the Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital Theater (3 Randolph St, Canton, MA 02021) on August 22 & 23 with callbacks on August 25th at 7pm
ALL BECAUSE OF AGATHA
SYNOPSIS: Duff O’Hara and his bride, Joan, buy an old historic home in Salem, Massachusetts, which happens to be haunted by Agatha Forbes, a witch who was burned at the stake during the Salem Witch Trials. Agatha is not happy about this, and she returns to the house annually so the house is never occupied. As the new occupant, Joan decides to throw a witch-hunting party on Agatha’s annual return date to convince Agatha to stop haunting the house. Thanks to the head of the Salem psychic society, the medium Madame La Solda, neighbor and obstetrician Dr. Randolph, and Joan’s Aunt Thelma, along with other oddball guests, things go hilariously wrong.
“AGATHA” CHARACTER NOTES AND DESCRIPTIONS: 4 Male / 6 Female
Because the choice of ages for casting is sometimes dictated by who actually auditions, age “ranges” are provided.
All characters should be interpreted as quirky, over-the-top characters as you’d see in a 60’s TV sitcom or variety show (think Bewitched or The Carol Burnett Show). They need a wide variety of delivery and are true caricatures. NONE of them should be interpreted or defined as “normal,” but still must be believable within the context of each other and the situation. Think “zany,” “off the wall” and “oddball”—even the flattest of written characters such as the leading couple are exaggerated. Comic timing will be infused into the written words. Don’t hold anything back!
• DUFF O’HARA: late 20’s-mid 30’s. good sense of humor, intelligent, tolerant, occasionally annoyed. He is a cartoonist and therefore an artist—which says it all.
• JOAN O’HARA: same age range as DUFF, her husband. Lovely girl with warmth, poise when necessary, and a quick wit. She’s playful, full of energy and enthusiasm, and always up for something new especially when her curiosity gets the best of her.
• MR. VAN BUREN: Realistically any age mid 20’s and up. Jovial, enthusiastic realtor.
• MRS. BOGGS A typical “club woman” of the ‘60’s, a great organizer, prominent in town and an influence. Perhaps a tad stuffy. She’s the type who gets on a board and is never voted off, mysteriously.
• ETHEL: The cook-housekeeper, young. Attractive in spite of her flamboyant appearance. The script calls for a NY accent HOWEVER, she could be from “anywhere” for our purposes. Not a wallflower, says what’s on her mind.
• DR. RANDOLPH: Obstetrician, “mama’s boy” no matter his age (again, depending on auditioners, age range can vary). High strung and nervous.
• THELMA BRECKENRIDGE: Joan’s aunt (and therefore at least 10 years older than Joan). Chic, eccentric, gregarious and an outrageous flirt. Likes her liquid lunches and another one who doesn’t hold back her thoughts.
• FLIP CANNON: Newspaper reporter. Energetic, somewhat self-centered but despite that, likeable, thinks he’s funny…and sometimes is.
• MADAM LA SOLDA: Dr. Randolph’s mother and a Medium. A strangely handsome woman rather theatrically made up. Her clothes are bizarre looking and she is a walking advertisement for a jewelry shop. She is “out there.” •
AGATHA The witch. To put it mildly, she is unusual. Her voice should be unique depending on what the actress can offer. She moves with catlike grace.
Purchase tickets for our Autumn Show here: